Last night BCAC celebrated our achievements at our Annual Community Gathering. Thanks to those of you who attended, and for those who missed it, we missed you.
If you want to see just what we all did last year, take a look at our 2017 by the Numbers attached. Please share. In the coming days we’ll have a video version of it as well.
Our event last night was covered by WMAR. You can see the clip here. There are 2 versions of the video. The first from this AM, and the second from last night.
It’s fitting that our annual gathering occurred the same night as the Larry Nassar sentencing for his sexual abuse of dozens of girls. He received a 175 year sentence. Angela Povilaitis, the Michigan Assistant Attorney General who prosecuted the case, said at Nassar’s sentencing 6 points that resonate and mirror what BCAC has stood for over 30 years. Allow me to share them with you all.
- We need to listen to and believe children when they report abuse, no matter who the adult is.
- Anyone can be an abuser: As a society our response cannot be that he did not do this – this is how Nassar got away with what he did for so long.
- Delayed disclosure of child sexual abuse is not unique – it’s quite the norm.
- Predators groom their victims and families.
- We must teach our girls and boys to speak up until someone listens and helps.
- Police, child protective services workers, and prosecutors must take on hard cases no matter who the suspect is. They cannot wait until they have the perfect case. They must be victim centered in their work.
BCAC has held to those principles for 30 years. We continue to work in partnership so no child has to suffer the same trauma that these brave young women endured. And last night the President of Michigan State University resigned due to her inaction in the Nassar case as well. Sadly, it looks as if societally we’ve learned little after Penn State – all the more reason to stay on top of what we do.
Last night also represents the soft start of BCAC’s 30th year celebration. If you’re tweeting and posting about us, use #BCAC30.
We’ve got lots coming in the year ahead. I’m excited for what the future brings. Thanks for what you all do to make this happen.